Position : Agribusiness Specialist / Deputy Team Leader (Lao national) Location : Vientiane (Xaythani district) with field visit to provinces Contract Length : 40 months (intermittent, out of a 62 months project) Starting date : Immediately
SOFRECO is a leading company in consultancy and technical assistance for sustainable economic and social development.
SOFRECO is seeking an independent consultant for a Deputy Team Leader position for the Climate-Friendly Agribusiness Value Chains Project, funded by ADB, which is aimed at enhancing competitiveness of rice value chains in Khammouane, Saravan and Savannakhet provinces, and vegetable value chains in Vientiane Capital, Champasak and Sekong provinces. The project will improve climate resilience of agricultural infrastructure, and enhance crop productivity, diversification and commercialization. The project will help improve storage, processing, quality and safety testing capacity, and promote the use of bio fertilizers and organic farming. It will strengthen technical and institutional capacity for climate smart agriculture (CSA) and create an enabling environment for climate-friendly agribusinesses to promote environmental sustainability and enhance profitability for farmers and agribusinesses.
Responsibilities of the Agribusiness Specialist / Deputy Team Leader : - Provide overall responsibility for technical support during implementation.
- Establish the overall project performance monitoring, evaluation, reporting and
- Supervise the consulting team and ensure that inputs and activities of both the
international and national consultants are of a high quality.
- Assist the NPMO in the scheduling and planning of project implementation,
including preparation and implementation of the work plans
- Provide advice and guidance on procurement, disbursement and liquidation of
expenditures following ADB procedures.
- Ensure that baseline surveys and annual surveys are carried out to obtain the
necessary information to measure implementation and impact performance.
- Assist the NPMO to identify all agribusiness value chain actors, and devise
strategies/activities to help improve their performance
- Assist the NPMO monitor the performance of agribusiness value chain actors
during and following interventions
- Assist in the design, planning and supervision of the monitoring of implementation
safeguards and benefits.
- Lead the consulting team in assisting the NPMO to review technical and
safeguard aspects of investment studies.
- Ensure the pro-poor measures identified in the community consultations are
designed and carried out.
- Assist the NPMO in addressing O&M issues
- Supervise safeguard and social monitoring during construction implementation.
- Assist the NPMO to resolve safeguard and implementation problems and issues
that may arise from time to time.
- Submit reports to the NPD following each input to the project, organize, contribute
presentations and deliver project workshops, and prepare and submit the project’s mandatory semiannual, annual, mid-term reports, and, additional, any specific reports and papers as requested by the NPD
- Participate in the mid-term review; and lead a team to prepare the project completion report.
- Master’s degree in agribusiness or an agribusiness related subject (agricultural
marketing, agro processing or international commodity trade)
- Excellent communication (written and oral)
- 5 years of experience in working with a multi lateral rural development/agriculture
project, preferably funded by ADB.
- Good command of English language (read, write and speak)